Red Wine Spaghetti
Peanut butter and I recently visited a restaurant serving a bright red spaghetti that was flavorful, salty, and down right yummy. It didn’t occur to me right away but the chef was able to create a bright red spaghetti noodle by boiling the pasta in red wine. Genius! After a bit of searching, we found a recipe from Food & Wine that seemed worth trying. The recipe below is our adapted version.
What you’ll need
5 cups water
3 1/4 cups red wine (and some to drink, of course)
3/4 lb spaghetti noodles
4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (if you like spice)
1/3 cup chopped basil leaves
1/4 cup pine nuts
1/2 cup Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
What to do
- Combine the water and 3 cups of the red wine in a large pot over high heat. Add a healthy dose of salt (~1-2 tablespoons)
- Add spaghetti and boil until al dente. Drain and reserve 1/4 cup of the boiling liquid.
- In a skillet over medium heat, add 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Cook garlic and red pepper flakes until fragrant (~1 minute)
- Add 1/4 cup of red wine and 1/4 cup of reserved boiling liquid; bring to a simmer
- Add noodles and stir until liquid is absorbed (~2 minutes)
- Add basil, pine nuts, cheese, and 2 tablespoons olive oil and toss until combined
- Serve with extra salt, pepper, and cheese to taste. Garnish with basil leaves.